Let's Dough This: Peach Cobbler
We're smack dab in the middle of summer now, which means lots of fruity desserts grace the table at family gatherings or cookouts with friends.
If you're looking for a dessert to bring to your next summer get together, try this one!
I will warn you that if you bake this, your house will smell amazing, which is always an added bonus when baking.
- 4 pounds peaches, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chilled crisco, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What You Need:
- 13x9x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish
- Large bowl
- 2-cup glass measuring cup
For the Filling:
- Position your oven rack in the center of the oven
- Preheat the oven to 400º
- Mix all filling ingredients in the baking dish
- Bake 15 minutes, until the juices are hot but not bubbling
For the Topping:
- While the filling is cooking, mix the flour, 4 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, and salt in the large bowl
- Use your fingertips to rub in the butter and shortening until the mixture is coarse
- In the glass measuring cup, whisk the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla until blended
- Pour this over the flour mixture and stir until it forms a soft dough
- Remove the filling from the oven
- Spoon the dough over the filling in 12 mounds
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the top
- Bake 40 minutes, until the juices are thickened and the topping is golden
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes
This peach cobbler is a great dessert to bring to any barbecue or cookout this summer! Be sure to grab a pint of vanilla ice cream to top it off!
This recipe is great to pop in the oven while you're getting ready or while you're doing other things since it bakes for so long.
If you try this recipe, drop a comment below and share them on Instagram with the hashtag #LetsDoughThis. Be sure to tune in to my Instagram story (@TheLittlePinkBakery) on Saturday for the next Saturday bake!