Let's Dough This: Chocolate-Dipped Macaroons
These macaroons are the recipe that made me begin my Saturday baking practice!
Growing up, I didn't like coconut but over the last couple years, I've come to love coconut. Especially when coconut is paired with chocolate.
I was surprised at how easy these macaroons were to make and I know I'll make them again when I need to whip up something that's quick to make and yummy to eat.
- 5 cups sweetened coconut flakes, divided
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted
What You'll Need:
- 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Rubber spatula
- Handheld electric mixer
- 1 baking sheet lined with wax paper (can be one of the 2 sheets above used a 2nd time)
To Make the Macaroons
- Move your oven rack to the center position and preheat the oven to 350º
- Sprinkle 2 cups of the coconut over one of your lined baking sheets
- Toast in the oven until golden brown, stirring every minute or 2 to avoid burning
- Remove from the oven
- Mix sweetened condensed milk and vanilla in a large mixing bowl
- Stir in the toasted coconut and the remaining untoasted coconut (3 cups)
- In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until frothy
- Add the sugar and beat until soft peaks form
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the coconut mixture
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the mixture per cookie on your prepared baking sheet, spacing the mounds 2 inches apart, making the mound 2-inches in diameter
- Bake the cookies for 14 minutes, until the bottom is a golden brown
- Cool completely on a wire rack
- Once the cookies are cooled, dip the bottoms into the melted chocolate and set on a baking sheet lined with wax paper
- Place the sheet in the freezer for 5 minutes to set the chocolate
I urge you to give this a try, especially if you have leftover condensed milk from last week's recipe!
If you do give these a go, drop a comment below and share them on Instagram with the hashtag #LetsDoughThis. Be sure to tune in to my Instagram story (@TheLittlePinkBakery) on Saturday for the next Saturday bake!